If you have a criminal record and you need to get your police record expunged you can apply at the Department of Justice, under the South African Expungement of a Criminal Record in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act, 1977 (Act 51 of 1997).
If your application to have your police record expunged is successful you will no longer be considered convicted of that crime. Your criminal record will be removed permanently from the national criminal register.
Once you have your police record expunged you can honestly tell employers and any other interested parties that you have not been convicted of a crime. The expunged criminal record will no longer show on employer background checks.
You have a good chance of successfully getting your police record expunged if:
1. Ten years have gone passed since the date of the conviction of your offence.
2. You received a sentence of periodical imprisonment or correctional supervision as opposed to a direct prison sentence.
3. During the 10 years since your conviction you have not been convicted and imprisoned, without the option of a fine, for any other offence
4. You were sentenced to the following sentences:
- Conviction of lesser serious crimes (for example minor charges of theft, assault, fraud etc.)
- Politically motivated crimes. For most crimes where a direct sentence was not laid upon except politically motivated crimes and crimes in respect of which the punishment is now unconstitutional under our new legislation.
5. You were convicted of an offence based on race.
6. You were convicted of an offence which would not be regarded as an offence in an open and democratic society based on human dignity, equality and freedom under the democratic constitutional dispensation.
In order for us to assist you with the expungement we would need to know the following (please add this information when emailing us your documentation):
- Date of record
- Nature of record
If you have already obtained an illicit report please let us know as the above would not be required. At the end of the process you will receive an Expungement Certificate with an Expunged Police Clearance Certificate.
How to apply
After completing your online order, please refer to your chosen selection and email the following documents to email@example.com:
Option 1 (6 - 8 weeks):
- Set of fingerprints x 2 (done at the police station). If you already have your Police Clearance Certificate showing your record, we only need one set of fingerprints. The fingerprints will be used once the expungement has been approved.
- Receipt of R160.00 (obtained from police station) - if you do not have one, we can do the SAPS payment of R160.00 on your behalf and a separate invoice will be issued.
- Copy of ID x 2
Option 2 (16 - 20 weeks):
- Set of fingerprints (done at the police station).
- Receipt of R160.00 (SAPS Fee) paid at the police station
- Copy of ID
If you have already obtained a Police Clearance Certificate or illicit report please let us know as the above would not be required.
Lead times will depend on your chosen option:
- Option 1: 16 to 20 weeks
- Option 2: 6 - 8 weeks
Once the record has been cleared from your name, we will provide you with a clearance certificate.
Disclaimer: Certificates RSA does in no way guarantee lead times in any way and does not accept responsibility for any loss due to delays in issue of certificates and/or certificates issued with faulty information.
Cash deposits: If you will be making a cash deposit please include R50.00 for banking charges, or a separate invoice will be issued.
International payments: If paying from an international account, please include bank charges of R250.00 per transaction, or a separate invoice will be issued.
Courier: Once the certificate/s are ready they will be sent to you via courier. Please select the correct courier option when placing your order. If you are unsure about which region to select, please choose "Please send me a separate quote" and we will send you a separate invoice. If you choose an incorrect region (eg. if you select "Courier South Africa - Main Centre" but reside in a remote/outlying area in South Africa), a separate invoice will be issued to cover any additional costs.
We make use of DHL for courier services. Once the parcel has been collected from us it is out of our control and any queries should be directed to DHL directly.
The departments we work with may be experiencing high application volumes and backlogs due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Certificates RSA has no control over these departments and cannot accept responsibility for exceeding the quoted timeframe.