Foreign birth registration is when a child is born abroad to a South African mother and/ or father and they would like to register the child's birth in South Africa.
Foreign Birth Registration Application Process
- Find the South African embassy, high commission, or consulate nearest to your current location. They will assist you in registering the foreign birth. We can only assist in expediting the process once this step has been done
- Prepare the necessary documents for the registration process, which typically include:
- Completed application form: Obtain the birth registration application form from the South African Mission or their official website.
- Child's birth certificate: Provide the original birth certificate issued by the foreign country's authorities.
- Parent's identification documents: Submit valid identification documents of both parents, such as passports or national identity cards.
- Parent's marriage certificate: If the parents are married, present a copy of their marriage certificate.
- Parent's passports: Provide copies of the parents' passports.
- Parent's proof of residence: Some South African Missions may require proof of the parents' residence in South Africa.
- Additional documents: The South African Mission may request additional supporting documents based on individual circumstances. It is advisable to inquire about any specific requirements.
- Submit the Application: Visit the South African Mission in person and submit the completed application form and all required documents. Pay any applicable fees, if applicable.
- The South African Mission will process your application and verify the documents provided. The processing time can vary, so inquire about the estimated timeframe during submission.
- Once the foreign birth registration is approved, you will receive a South African birth certificate for the child.