A certificate of no impediment is an official document that confirms an individual's freedom to marry. The certificate serves as proof that there are no legal obstacles or impediments to the intended marriage.
A certificate of no impediment has many different names including but not limited to:
- Letter of No Impediment
- Non-impediment Letter
- Non-impediment Certificate
- Declaration of Non-impediment to Marry
- Certificate of Freedom to Marry
- Statutory Declaration of Single Status
- This certificate is required when one or both parties in a marriage are foreign nationals or when getting married outside of South Africa. It serves as proof that there are no legal impediments to the intended marriage.
- In South Africa, the Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing certificates of no impediment.
- To obtain this certificate in South Africa, you typically need to follow these steps:
- Gather the necessary documents: Prepare your identification documents, such as passports or national identity cards, and any supporting documents required by the DHA
- Complete the application form: Fill out the application form for a certificate of no impediment. This form is available at the Department of Home Affairs offices or their official website.
- We can assist with the application
- Legalization and Authentication: Depending on the requirements of the country where you plan to get married, you may need to have your certificate of no impediment legalized or authenticated. This process involves obtaining an apostille or authentication from DIRCO or other relevant authorities.
If you would like more information about certificates of no impediment then check the information tabs below, or you can contact us.
Check your Marital Status in South Africa
While you may be single, there are many fraudulent marriages reported to the Department of Home Affairs each year.
Purchase a Marital Status Check and let us check your marital status and the date of your marriage.