IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are experiencing delays due to Covid 19. We are working with departments that we have no control over and cannot be held responsible if it exceeds the quoted timeframe.
Certificates RSA Logo South african document services

Unabridged / Abridged Marriage Certificates

Certificates RSA can make the process of obtaining your unabridged and abridged marriage certificate South Africa faster and more hassle free.

The BI-30 is the form that you were issued with by the registrar or priest. It consists of your signatures along with the signatures of the priest/registrar and the witnesses who attended the wedding. In order for the unabridged marriage certificate process to run as smoothly as possible it is imperative that the BI-30 copies are clearly legible. If you do not have the BI30 we are still able to assist you

Although lead times are an indication, Certificates RSA does in no way guarantee lead times and does not accept responsibility for any loss due to delays in issue of certificates and/or certificates issued with faulty information

If you would like further information about marriage certificates please read more below, or you can contact us.

Order Now

What is a Marriage Certificate?

A marriage certificate an official document that is issued by a governmental authority that shows the couple listed have a legal recognized relationship.

A marriage certificate states the names of the couple that got married as well as when they were married, where they were married, who married them and the witnesses that were present.

How to apply for a Marriage Certificate South Africa

When you get married the marriage officer, two witness and the couple that are married must sign the marriage register. Then the marriage officer must issue the married couple with a handwritten certificate (BI-27) free of charge.

The marriage officer then submits the marriage register to the nearest office of the Department of Home Affairs, where the marriage details will be recorded in the National Population Register (NPR).

Additional abridged or unabridged copies of a marriage certificate can be obtained by:

  • Completing Form BI-130 in black ink and submitting it to the nearest office of the Department of Home Affairs or to the nearest South African embassy, mission or consulate abroad
  • Paying the prescribed fee