If you are needing a Registration of Foreign Marriage we can assist you.
Due to it being a foreign marriage, HA cannot supply you with a computer printed marriage certificate.
You can apply for a non impediment letter, which will state that you are now married.
If you got married outside of South Africa and want to register your foreign marriage in South Africa, here are the general steps to follow:
- Contact the relevant authority in the country where you were married and request an unabridged marriage certificate. This certificate should include detailed information about you and your spouse, the date and location of the marriage, and any other required details.
- If your foreign marriage certificate is not in one of South Africa's official languages, you will need to have it translated by a sworn translator. The translation must be notarized by a notary public.
- Submit the required documents to us. We will need the foreign marriage certificate, your passports, and any other required documents required.
- There is a fee associated with registering a foreign marriage in South Africa
- Once we have submitted your documents, the DHA will review your application and supporting documents. The processing time can vary, so it's best to inquire about the estimated timeframe.
- Once your foreign marriage is registered, you can apply for a non impediment letter. This letter will show that you are now married and who you are married to.
It's important to note that the process may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the country where the marriage took place.